Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Decluttering and Oprah

Love Bite #7 - Love isn't in the cards? Deal a new hand.

Talk about your "signs"! Holey-moley am I getting the signs this week! First I started a baby kimono and got a baby shower invitation. Yesterday I began the decluttering undertaking of the century. Today Oprah is having a show on decluttering. It seems there was a previous show and she will revisit those who were straightened out before. I hope it's not the lady with the dog poop all over the place including in the bathtub/shower. I'm not that bad. There is an errant gene in my family. We can't throw anything away. My problem is exacerbated by the fact that I have a lot of hobbies and collections so my house is chock full but not chock filthy. Well, that is if you don't count dust bunnies.

How long are you supposed to keep old check registers and cancelled checks? I would have them back to the sixties had there not been a basement flood. I can remember when I was trying to decide whether to try and dry them or just throw the sodden boxes out. I threw them out. It's at least 20 years later and I haven't had a call for anything that was in any of those boxes nor have I missed any of it. That should give me a clue. I'm going to throw all this stuff away, including the ancient utility bills and tax returns. At least I'm going to bag it for shredding and store it in the garage until . . .

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. I think I need to go knit myself into a calmer state.

Bona Fide Knitter

No comments: