Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cold Weather, Warm Socks

Baby, it's cold outside! I keep putting off the many errands I have. All I want to do is stay indoors warm and comfy in my flannel PJs and knit nice warm socks. I have the Auto Knitter purring with only an occasional cough from a hair ball. I give it a good drink of machine oil and the socks crank out without a hitch . . . almost . . . knock on wood.

Antique sock machines like things a certain way, at least my Auto Knitter does. I have an electric cone winder because the AK likes the yarn to flow smoothly from a cone. Yarn from a center-pull ball just won't do. Yesterday I wound many center pull balls onto cones. And I'll tell you this, a lot of those balls have little hitches in the center. You don't notice it so much when knitting by hand, but any machine will let you know in a hurry! And don't you just hate it when you can't find the end down in the ball? What's up with that? Sometimes it's as easy as pie and sometimes you get a big wad of tangled yarn from the center without an end in sight. I hate when that happens!

I think tonight will be Kitchener time. What do you think?

Maybe I'll add a few more to the pile before tonight, maybe even some knee socks. You can do that, knit a few pairs of socks a day, with a sock machine.

Bona Fide Knitter keeping warm


No comments: